Powered By Blogger

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Taylor's Thoughts on the Holy Quran


This essay is written by my classmate Taylor Lewis on The Holy Quran. enjoy reading it.  

I have always been interested in the word of god and the many different religions that each nation offers. However the western world has been notorious for altering the words in the Bible, constantly revising and producing new versions of the Bible. People will take the words that they like and disregard the ones that they don’t. There are so many revisions but I would like to read some of the unaltered words of god. From what I have read the Holy Qur’an offers such an opportunity.  
                                                                                                                                   
 I find it very interesting that even though many religions call their god by a different name they still have very similar characteristics. Even though land and sea separates many different people the similarities are uncanny. I was able to find multiple sources of the Holy Qur’ans translation into English. Each offered interesting insight while allowing me to engulf myself into the vastness of the Holy Qur’an.   

I found one translation by Dr. Muhammad Taqi-ud-Din Al-Hilali and Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan which I particularly liked, it said… The Holy Quran [8:30] “And (remember) when the disbelievers plotted against you (O Muhammad ) to imprison you, or to kill you, or to get you out (from your home, i.e. Makkah); they were plotting and Allah too was planning, and Allah is the Best of the planners.” I love that it ended with “Allah is the Best of the planners” If I may, I think that this not only refers to this single passage but Allah’s plans as a whole. Throughout the Holy Qur’an Allah is referenced as being great and merciful with ever bounding love. I believe that passage reverts to the aspect of Allah’s power he possess and the path that he allows people to set for themselves while he is all seeing and knowing. Their path is forged by their own actions but decided by Allah.                                                                                                  
I was lucky enough to listen to an original reading of the Holy Qur’an by Abdulbasit Abdulsamad. I have never in my life heard of anything like this. I have been to church and listened to sermons but I had never heard anything of this sort. Even though I do not understand the words being spoken the reading was astounding and quite calming. Abdulbasit’s reading was humbling. He read with conviction and his voice carried past the language barrier. Each word flowed as if it were a song. Each word was carefully read leaving a convincing enchantment. Even though we come from different parts of the world I can appreciate the beauty in the sacred words being spoken, different language or not. It was one thing reading the translations but it was much more fulfilling listening to an original reading. Language did not matter, the recites’ voice carried with a conviction that is seldom heard in today’s life. I look forward to finding out more about Islamic History and what the Holy Qur’an has in its pages.  
 
Works Cited

Abdulbasit Abdulsamad.Abdulbasit Abdulsamad - Quran Recital.” TVQuran, 2008. Web. 12      Oct. 2013.
Taqi-ud-Din Al-Hilali, Dr. Muhammad, and Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan. "Complete English    Translation of The Noble Quran." Complete English Translation of The Noble Quran.       Dar-us-Salam Publications, n.d. Web. 12 Oct. 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment